My blog has moved to a fresh new site! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.werunthings.net/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Chrysalis

I live in hell, NO, seriously I do live in hell.
I didn't just wake up, pack my bags and decide to live there though. I was born bred {bread}, buttered, battered and waiting for the next wave of chain {change} reactions. Since I am not given to self pity then I won't or rather I can't blame my parents. It wasn't always like this.

You see, Lagos Island {Marina, Olowogbowo, isale Eko, Adeniji, Onola, Campus, Oju-ina etc etc} was the bubbly commercial nerve center of the state, the gravitation towards the state of
eternal inferno has always been there, and kinda gradual, but like a conspiracy, we all ignored it.
We could not be bothered, as far as we had our parties, our guinea jacquards, our brochades and
when about 16 people could inhabit a one room apartment and share communal toilets.
What could we care?

If this was to be a musical piece, the theme would be rape, murder, torture, gun running,
assasination, blasphemy, paedophilia, robbery, petty stealing and I'll leave the rest to your
imagination. You can't ask a friend to come visit, ehn! lai, lai would be the response.
A friend even compared the Lagos Island situation to a scene in the movie
'The good, the bad, the ugly'. If you've seen that movie, project your mind to that scene where
the bad dude was caught and they start reading out his endless atrocities at his execution...bottom line was, the dude's sins were too many to mention that they summed it up with 'all the crimes under the sun'. That's the situation in my part of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I am not proud of the situation and would help reverse it if that can be achieved. What I'm going to be doing on this blog for the next couple of days or weeks or months is outline/showcase {right word?} what has become the twisted culture of the infamous Lagos Island. Whenever I can, I will provide still shots to butress my point. So, take my hand {come on, don't be scared} and see my part of the world, with your own eyes. I'm not asking you to be the judge, it's not a lab/clinical situation. Arm chair scholars stay out of this; you ruin everything.
This is the real deal, a people, a community, a race in distress.
So why don't you take a walk with me...

6 comments:

  1. good post! looking forward to reading more from you! i can identify with your feeling about Lagos Island......

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, Onada. Thanx for stopping by and your comment. You say you can identify with my feeling about Lagos Island...hmmnn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting indeed...curious to read more...i do like the way you write...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to think lagos island was d sane part of lagos, since dez supposed to b d 'tush' babes & bobos dey? na wa o.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ florida of free spirit
    The traditional Lagos Island was Isale Eko and some parts of Ikoyi. VI and Lekki are the results of pouring sand on water (Sand-filling). That is why you hear Lagosians on the Mainland say- Mo n losi Eko ( I am going to Lagos).
    Eko o ni baje o

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ florida of free spirit:
    tush babes and bobos is what we ALL make up.

    @ comrade: you are almost correct.

    Thanx for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete